Dear School District Superintendents, Charter School and Education Collaborative Directors, Business Managers, Town Treasurers, Personnel Administrators and Payroll Officers,
Please note these two important updates regarding:
1) the deadline for finalizing all calendar year 2014 deduction reports; and
2) tips and reminders for payroll deduction reporting.
1) The deadline for finalizing all calendar year 2014 deduction reports is Friday, March 20, 2015; if your district is currently severely delinquent in reporting, your superintendent will receive a notice from us soon.
Currently, 65% of the deduction reports for calendar year 2014 have been finalized. We have projected a 70% completion rate by the end of December, 80% by the end of January, 92% by the end of February and 100% by March 20th. In the next few weeks, we will be sending individual notifications to superintendents of districts that are severely delinquent in their reporting. A district with 5 or more months of backlogged reports is considered severely delinquent. We will continue to communicate with delinquent districts on a monthly basis in order to meet the March 20th deadline. This is a team effort so please don’t hesitate to notify us if we can be of any assistance.
2) Reminders and tips for deduction reporting:
- Reminder: Instruct new staff to enroll in the MTRS in a timely manner using the member self-service module of MyTRS.
Tip: You can now access the MTRS membership number and contribution rates for all registered employees by clicking on View/Update Employee Information in MyTRS. When setting up new employees, please check MyTRS first to verify their contribution rates.
- Reminder: Submit your payments and have your reports imported to MyTRS by the 10th of each month.
Tip: If you are still working on a reporting backlog, it is important to import your current report to avoid the risk of complications that may arise in the future by importing an outdated file later.
- Reminder: Please make sure to verify that each month’s payment(s) and corresponding deduction report match before submitting your report for approval. If there is a known difference, please make sure it is explained in the report’s comments section.
- Reminder: When submitting reports with permitted exceptions, make sure to set the report’s Report Status Override field to “Yes” then Save and close before submitting. MyTRS will prevent the submission of a report with errors or non-certified exceptions.
- Reminder: Keep your employees’ contract information up to date in your payroll software, especially for new employees, to ensure that the data you are reporting on a monthly basis is correct:
- Full-time equivalent contract salary
- Position code
- Full-time percentage
- Contract term
- Pay Duration
- Pay Frequency