Dear School District Superintendents, Charter School and Education Collaborative Directors, Business Managers, Payroll Officers, Personnel Administrators and Town Treasurers,
Please note these two important updates regarding:
- the deadline for finalizing all calendar year 2016 deduction reports; and
- tips and reminders for payroll deduction reporting.
1) The deadline for finalizing all calendar year 2016 deduction reports is Friday, March 10, 2017; if your district is currently severely delinquent in reporting, your superintendent will receive a notice from us soon.
Currently, 69% of the deduction reports for calendar year 2016 have been finalized. We have projected an 81% completion rate by the end of January, 93% by the end of February and 100% by March 10th.
In the next few weeks, we will be sending individual notifications to superintendents of districts that are severely delinquent in their reporting. A district with 4 or more months of backlogged reports is considered severely delinquent. We will continue to communicate with delinquent districts on a regular basis in order to meet the March 10th deadline. This is a team effort so please don’t hesitate to notify us if we can be of any assistance.
2) Reminders and tips for deduction reporting
- Reminder: Submit your payments and have your reports imported to MyTRS by the 10th of each month. Please make sure to verify that each month’s payment(s) and corresponding deduction report match before submitting your report for approval. If there is a known difference, please make sure it is explained in the report’s comments section.
- Tip: If you are still working on a reporting backlog, it is important to import your current report to avoid the risk of complications that may arise in the future by importing an outdated file later. This will allow you to reduce extra work later correcting records for employees who had updates between the reported period and when the file is generated.
- Reminder: When submitting reports with permitted exceptions, make sure to set the report’s Report Status Override field to “Yes,” then Save and close before submitting. MyTRS will prevent the submission of a report with errors or non-certified exceptions.
- Reminder: Keep your employees’ contract information up to date in your payroll software, especially for new employees, to ensure that their salaries, pay schedules and full-time percentages you are reporting on a monthly basis are accurate.
- Reminder: Instruct new staff to enroll in the MTRS in a timely manner using the member self-service module of MyTRS.
- Tip: You can access the MTRS membership number and contribution rates for all registered employees by clicking on View/Update Employee Information in MyTRS. When setting up new employees, please check MyTRS first to verify their contribution rates.